Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Matthew 7:1: A Thorough S.O.A.P. Bible Study, Part B


Read Matthew 7. Here is a link:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+7&version=HCSB

My memory verses today:

Matthew 7:1-2 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
“Do not judge, so that you won’t be judged. For with the judgment you use, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
-- Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB). Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2009 by Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville Tennessee. All rights reserved.

SCRIPTURE

Read Matthew 7:1 again.

OBSERVATION

Do not judge.

Note how it doesn't say there is an exception. There isn't one.

We are to never judge. Never, ever.

Looking at Matthew 7:1... Questions I have... Do not judge so I won't be judged. Does this infer that if I judge, then I will be judged? Or, does it infer I would deserve to be judged? Is God judging? Or is He saying I deserve to be judged by others if I judge?

Hmm... And, what does judge mean in the original Greek?

To judge in the original Greek means: to decide, distinguish, separate... Honestly, that does not help me much.

Here is a cross-reference:

Romans 14:10-13 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
10 But you, why do you criticize your brother? Or you, why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before the tribunal of God. 11 For it is written:
As I live, says the Lord,
every knee will bow to Me,
and every tongue will give praise to God.
12 So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.
13 Therefore, let us no longer criticize one another. Instead decide never to put a stumbling block or pitfall in your brother’s way.
--Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB). Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2009 by Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville Tennessee. All rights reserved.

Quit judging, criticizing, acting harsh with one another. It puts up stumbling blocks we create for others to trip over and fall. Our judgment makes others fall and fail. We do that, had have done that, through our judging. Ouch.

Now, here is another cross-reference:

1 Corinthians 4:3-5 New Living Translation (NLT)
3 As for me, it matters very little how I might be evaluated by you or by any human authority. I don’t even trust my own judgment on this point. 4 My conscience is clear, but that doesn’t prove I’m right. It is the Lord himself who will examine me and decide.
5 So don’t make judgments about anyone ahead of time—before the Lord returns. For he will bring our darkest secrets to light and will reveal our private motives. Then God will give to each one whatever praise is due.
-- New Living Translation (NLT). Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright© 1996, 2004, 2007, 2013 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Again... We must look within, not at others. Are we personally right with God in every way possible? Ask: Am I praying about all things, at all times, without fail? Am I always giving thanks about everything and everyone? Am I meditating, thinking, pondering, contemplating the Word of God, the Holy Bible, morning, noon, and night? Am I reading, studying, memorizing, and mediating on the Bible all of the time?

Let me give us a hint. The answer to each of the previous questions is a loud, "NO!" We are not perfect. We are sinners. We can always do more of each of those. Life is meant for us to keep trying to learn how to pray, thanks, and be in the Bible without ceasing. What we need to do when we judge is to try to find a new way to do each of these things so it refreshens our faith, so we do not even feel the inclination to judge (or be tempted or sin just in general).

Another cross-reference is:

John 8:7 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
7 But when they persisted in asking Him, He straightened up, and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.”
--New American Standard Bible (NASB). Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation.

Who are we to judge?

Who am I to judge? I am not perfect. In fact, I am far from being perfect. I have no room to judge anyone. I mess up several times each day.

But, I know this. When I strive to always pray, give thanks, and be in the Word, I am tempted far less and sin far less. After all, it is then I feel peace inside. True peace. Not the peace the world seeks. And, when I feel peaceful on the inside, I do not want to judge. I just don't feel like it. For then, my eyes are on Him, not on this world. This world will fail me every time, but He has never, and will never, fail me.

APPLICATION

Pray and give thanks for everyone and everything always. Always be in the Word.

PRAYER

Lord, help me to always pray, give thanks, and be in Your Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment